[FOM] pathology

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Mon Aug 24 18:00:40 EDT 2015

It is certainly worthwhile to study mathematical entities whose existence
can be proved but for which it can be proved that explicit examples (using
acceptable mathematical language) can not be given. But I don't like using
a pejorative term like "pathology" to describe them. We don't know what
role such things will play in future developments, and calling them
pathological simply validates what may turn out to be simply prejudice of
our day.

Martin