[FOM] Alternative Foundations/philosophical

Joseph Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 21:02:52 EST 2014

The prerequisite I mentioned was enough experience and mathematical intuition to be able to see that interpretability in ZFC (or ZFC+a large cardinal) was possible in principle.

The people who say "it is fine if you are careful" but who work within a formal system that cannot be seen to be interpretable in ZFC+a large cardinal do not qualify and criticism of them is quite appropriate.

However, mathematicians whose formalizations are not inadequate in this sense should not be required to provide the details of a set theoretical interpretation, any more than computer scientists writing about algorithms should be required to provide details of how their algorithms can be implemented by Turing machines.

I think that by now "Zermelo's thesis" has the same professional status as the Church-Turing thesis. Harvey, on the other hand, seems to think not only that some mathematicians are using (in their ordinary work and not metamathematics) formal systems which are not interpretable in ZFC + a large cardinal, but also, and more embarrassingly, that there is genuine disagreement about whether the systems they use are so interpretable.

If Harvey is right, then I still stand by Zermelo's thesis, and declare that the mathematicians who are mistaken about their systems being ZFC+LC-interpretable are unsound and professionally embarrassing in the same way that a computer scientist would be who proposed an "algorithm" that was not actually effective. But I'd prefer to see names named so that the discussion can get into the details.

McLarty seems to have succeeded in repairing the unprofessional neglect of foundations exhibited by the Grothendieck school, so I no longer know of any specific published results where the issue of interpretability in ZFC is a source of contention.

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone