[FOM] Alternative Foundations/philosophical

David Roberts david.roberts at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Mar 6 19:51:22 EST 2014

Dear Harvey,

How many layers of coding will you accept for a problem and still
consider it as being "in the usual set-theoretic foundations"? In
practice, most people work in a foundation-agnostic way, especially if
they work in so-called 'ordinary mathematics' (for which not the full
strength of ZFC is needed). For sure, one could code work on schematic
homotopy types into ZFC (possibly with an inaccessible, but I strongly
suspect it's not necessary), but actually writing them down in
set-theoretical language *in detail* would be masochistic (reminiscent
of Bourbaki's empty set
http://www.neverendingbooks.org/content/empty-set-according-bourbaki).
>From the point of  view of category theory, almost all of it seems
rather natural and in fact in some ways universal (in the category
theoretic sense: being the optimal/smallest way of getting such a
thing). From the point of view of homotopy type theory, this should be
just a non-standard model of the axioms (this isn't proven, but from
what I understand, it's expected).

This is not a 'simple example', because I'm not playing the 'my
foundation is more convenient than yours' game. At some point work on
problems become so far removed from foundations that the choice of
foundations becomes moot. Do we prefer foundations that are closer to
mathematical practice, or foundations with an economy of symbols and
concepts when written in first-order logic? Pick whichever makes you
sleep at night assured that your work is no more contradictory than
the foundations.

Chasing down an example understandable by an mathematics graduate
which, when written in one foundation is longer than when written in
another foundation is like comparing axiom systems purely on the
number of characters they require when printed on the page. Vaguer
criteria such as "comparatively awkward" are unbecoming of logicians.

Best regards,

David