[FOM] Holmes on Con(NF)

tf at maths.cam.ac.uk tf at maths.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 25 02:38:43 EDT 2014

A conversation i am having with Michael Beeson in Vienna is showing me that
the firewall around Holmes' proof on his home page is potentially
misleading. Holmes wants to fend off people who are not technically
proficient, but the technical proficiency required does not extend to
mastery of NF. This is a proof *about* NF not *in* NF. To follow Holmes'
proof you need to understand FM models plus enough model theory to
understand why the result about type theory that he proves is equivalent to
the consistency of NF. I am not suggesting that the proof is an easy read,
but at least it does not require kabbalistic knowledge or access to any
occult forces. Worth a try.