[FOM] Objective mathematics in a finite unbounded universe

Paul Budnik paul at mtnmath.com
Tue Feb 25 11:33:50 EST 2014

Most mathematicians think that first order arithmetic is objectively
true in some sense. Stronger formal systems lead to increasing
skepticism and have led to suggestions that pluralism is needed in the
foundations of mathematics.

One version of mathematical objectivity is based on asking: "Which
mathematical statements are logically determined by events that could in
theory occur in the physical universe as we understand it?" I assume an
always finite, but unbounded over time, universe with recursive laws of
physics. The minimal standard (and thus countable) models of ZF and ZF
plus some large cardinal axioms may meet this definition of objective.
The paper "Objective mathematics in a finite unbounded universe"
<http://www.mtnmath.com/math/objMath.pdf> develops these ideas.

This philosophical approach suggests additional ways in which computers
can help in understanding and developing the foundations of mathematics.
This ties in to the ordinal calculator <http://www.mtnmath.com/ord>
which is discussed in the above paper.

Paul Budnik
www.mtnmath.com