[FOM] Talk in New York City by Jean-Pierre Marquis on Homotopy Type Theory

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Thu Apr 3 15:04:56 EDT 2014

Official announcement by Noson S. Yanofsky (tiny edits by me) taken from

   https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/hott-nyc/81ZOUOpq3cc

Speaker: Jean-Pierre Marquis
          Universite de Montreal

Date and Time: Thursday April 3, 2014,
                7:00 - 8:00 PM
                Room 8405
                Big CUNY building
                34th Street and Fifth Avenue
                Island of the Manahattoes

Title: Homotopy type theory as a foundational framework:
        Some philosophical remarks

Abstract: Homotopy type theory, a new field at the crossroad of
homotopy theory and type theory, is being vigorously investigated
and is being presented as a new candidate for the foundations of
mathematics. To many logicians and philosophers, the latter
suggestion seems dubitable, to say the least, if only because
homotopy types are understood as being too abstract and
complicated to provide a convincing foundational framework. In
this talk, I will briefly discuss the various desiderata
associated with a foundational framework and try to sketch a view
that provides a justification for this new approach.