[FOM] From theorems of infinity to axioms of infinity

elliott mendelson emenqc at msn.com
Sun Mar 10 13:29:13 EDT 2013

Dear Mic:               The simplest answer I can propose to your question is that Russell's Paradox, already known independently to Zermelo, prompted a more general 'failure of nerve'.  Most mathematicians still believed in the universe of sets but realized that some of their apparently firm intuitions might lead to contradictions, and were happy to be able to work with Zermelo's axiom system (and later with the Zermelo-Fraenkel system or with von Neumann's system).  Best wishes,Elliott Mendelsonemenqc at msn.com