[FOM] Question about theoretical physics

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 27 23:13:57 EST 2013

Arnold Neumaier wrote:
> The purpose of constructive quantum field theory was never to find an
> effective algorithm to predict results of real experiments, just as the
> purpose of the theory of partial differential equations was never to
> find an effective algorithm to solve partial differential equations.

I don't really understand QFT.  However, I think I understand the gist of
Joe Shipman's objection.  I'll caricature it somewhat because I think the
caricature may be illuminating.

If a scientist wants to claim proudly that a certain theory has made
predictions that have been subsequently confirmed by experiment, then it
is important that the scientist say ahead of time precisely what the
prediction is.  It's cheating if the scientist makes some kind of
ambiguous statement that can later be weaseled to fit any experimental
result that happens to turn up.

It seems to me that this is what Shipman's talk of an effective algorithm
is getting at (and by this he doesn't mean a computationally efficient
algorithm, just any precisely specified algorithm).  He's saying that the
theoretical physicists ought to say precisely how they're calculating the
digits (of the anomalous magnetic dipole moment of the electron, for
example) that they're proudly claiming are confirmed by experiment.  If
they can't say exactly how they're getting the next digit, then it looks
(to the mathematician, at least) like they're pulling a fast one.
Hypothetically, if the digit *hadn't* matched experiment, wouldn't they
have just used the wiggle room afforded by their lack of rigor to come up
with some other calculation that *did* give the right answer?  If they're
making up the theory as they're going along so that it matches experiment,
then doesn't this mean that the much-vaunted agreement between theory and
experiment isn't so remarkable after all?

I'm not saying that this criticism is on target, but this is what I
understand to be (most of) what bothers Shipman.

Tim