[FOM] Question about theoretical physics

Joe Shipman JoeShipman at aol.com
Thu Feb 21 20:46:02 EST 2013

But what does that mean?

What is the official "algorithm for predicting experimental results?" Is it "keep adding terms for as long as they decrease in size, when you encounter a term which is larger than the previous term then ignore it and stop"?

If this is the case (and I want to see a CITATION or a QUOTE that officially INSTRUCTS students where to truncate the calculation), then the theory is valid only to a fixed precision. Furthermore, it is mathematically foundationless. It is a much worse situation than simply saying that the theory provides no model of reality, just calculation of experimental predictions, because the experimental predictions are not really "provided" either!

If even QED, which is constantly praised as a model of a precisely mathematized theory, doesn't give actual predictions, are we supposed to believe that its successors will somehow solve this problem and provide experimental predictions to arbitrary precision?  I don't even mind if there is no algorithm for calculating such a prediction if the number in the prediction is still mathematically DEFINABLE, because then even a measurement that can't teach us any new physics (due to the number's noneecursiveness preventing physical prediction) can teach us new mathematics (the value of a definable number whose nonrecursiveness prevents mathematical proof).

In what sense is a physical theory "mathematical", if it fails to specify, either algorithmically or definitionally, what numbers can be measured?

-- JS

Sent from my iPhone