[FOM] Logical Correctness/ Chow

Lotfi A. Zadeh zadeh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 26 19:08:28 EST 2012

Dear Tim:

Thank you for your comment. Your comment is valid if p is a crisp
proposition. In this case, as you point out, my question has a trivial
answer.

My question--and related questions--are non-trivial when p is a fuzzy
proposition. In this case, my questions fall within the province of
fuzzy modal logic, fuzzy logic and possibility theory. A point at issue
is whether fuzzy modal logic is capable of coming up with answers to my
questions. Vaughn thinks so, but I have doubts. There is a reason. If
pis a fuzzy proposition, assessment of its truthvalue in a possible
world is a non-trivial problem. Does fuzzy modal logic address this
problem? Example. p: Robert is much richer than most of his friends.
Representation of meaning ofpropositions of this level of complexity
falls within the province of fuzzy logic.

When p is a fuzzy proposition, possibility ceases to be a bivalent
concept. Can fuzzy Kripke semantics deal with sentences like: It is
quite possible that Robert is rich. As you can see, we enter unchartered
territory.

     It is a sobering thought that dealing with simple sentences
drawnfrom everyday discourse may well be beyond the reach of fuzzy modal
logic.

                            Sincerely,

                            Lotfi

--
Lotfi A. Zadeh
Professor Emeritus

Address:
729 Soda Hall #1776
Computer Science Division
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1776
zadeh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tel.(office): (510) 642-4959