[FOM] Is logic prescriptive or descriptive?

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Wed Jul 11 12:32:31 EDT 2012

Richard,

One traditional view is that logic is a normative science whose object is truth.
The other two of the Big Three normative sciences are then aesthetics and ethics,
whose objects are beauty and justice (righteous conduct), respectively.

A distinction is sometimes made between "normative",
indicating what we ought to do in order to achieve
specific objects, and "prescriptive", indicating
what we ought to do in absolute terms.

Regards,

Jon