[FOM] Paul Cohen was wrong

Brian White white at math.stanford.edu
Sat Sep 10 00:53:46 EDT 2011

I think you've misunderstood what Cohen is asserting.
He doesn't say you can get aleph_1, aleph_2, etc  using
ZFC  minus the power set axiom.
Rather, he says you can get them with something weaker than
the power set axiom, in particular with higher axioms of
infinity.
He doesn't say what those axioms
are, but for example the following would do:

A1: there is an ordinal that contains all countable ordinals.

(Of course there is then a smallest such ordinal, namely aleph_1).

A2: there is an ordinal that contains all ordinals equipotent to aleph_1

etc.