[FOM] Paul Cohen was wrong

S. S. Kutateladze sskut at math.nsc.ru
Fri Sep 9 18:02:27 EDT 2011

Monroe Eskew <meskew at math.uci.edu>    wrote :

Consider the following quote from Paul Cohen's book, Set Theory and
the Continuum Hypothesis:
<<"A point of view which the author [Cohen] feels may eventually come
to be accepted is that CH is obviously false....
But his argument is self-defeating!..

Cohen  explained himself in more detail in "The Discovery of Forcing," Rocky Mount. J.
Math. 12:4(2002), 1071-1100.
He remarked in particular:

"Again,  I  must  repeat  that  I  do  not take my own view completely
seriously, at least not to the extent of defending it at all costs.
For  me  it  is   the  aesthetics  which  may  very well be the final
arbiter."