[FOM] disguised set theory "DST"

Frode Bjørdal frode.bjordal at ifikk.uio.no
Wed Oct 5 16:43:11 EDT 2011

In two posts above I had a shot at showing that the disguised set
theory (DST) proposed by Zuhair (and as it turned out scrutinized by
Holmel) proves infinity, and next a shot at showing that DST is
inconsistent. The presentation of  DST which I first related to was at
certain ponts confusing to me. Indeed Holmes also admits that the
theory is rather bizarre, as it were. Anyway, it turned out that I
made assumptions in my argument which did not abide by the disguised
comprehension principle presupposed.

It seems to me that the fundamental mistake in my posts was in
presupposing that we can make use of sets as provided by the set
brackets in disguised comprehension. It is true that I at one point
was making use of a contextual definition, but on this matter I was
wavering.

I want to point out that Holmes seems to make a similar mistake in his
posting. He there attempts at a rectified definition of my N by having
0={x:x=I=x}, and defining z'EY contextually as  "for every w such that
the public elements of w are exactly the public
> elements of x
> and x itself, and such that w is a public element of some set, w E y". More formally: z'Ey iff (w)((s)(sEw<=>sEzVs=z)=>wEy).

His N is now supposed to be defined by the condition
(y)(0Ey&(z)(zEy=>z'EY)=>xEy).

Concerning this Holmes in his post remarks:

> This set is in my opinion defined correctly.  But it does not have
> nice properties.  Clearly
> 0 e N, and since N is obviously not in TC(0), we have 0 E N as well.

However, the condition (y)(0Ey&(z)(zEy=>z'EY)=>xEy) is not a disguised
condition as I have now come to understood this. 0={x:x=I=x} occurs.
On this very set Holmes in the same post earlier remarks:

Define 0 as {x | x =/= x}, the empty set.
> Note that this is *the*
> empty set only in relation to private membership.  The set {V} for
> example whose only private
> element is the universe, is readily seen to also have no public elements.

If one should attempt at defining N along such lines as Holmes are on
to here it should, I believe, be by using the existence of publically
empty sets as initial, i.e. something like this:

 N={x:(y)((existsw(wEy&-existst(tEw))&(z)(zEy=>z'Ey))=>xEy)}

I have no intuition concerning the nature of N in DST. It seems to me
that DST is sufficiently foreign to intuition that I am strongly
inclined to agree with Holmes in that it is too strange to be
mathematically practicable even if consistent. However, it would be
interesting if something non-trivial was found out.

--
Frode Bjørdal
Professor i filosofi