[FOM] Pre-publication and publication.

Peter Cholak Peter.Cholak.1 at nd.edu
Wed Oct 27 20:00:58 EDT 2010

To the Computability Theory Community:

As we know there are an increasing number of meetings in
computability theory where a conference proceedings is created. These
meetings and proceedings have been created in the model of many CS
meetings.  The articles that appear in these proceedings are refereed
but they may not be refereed to the standard of a good journal. Most
of these proceeding papers appear in MathSciNet, most are available
online, and most are in a series bought by our libraries.  Hence
papers in a conference proceeding count as a published article.  In
CS some of papers from a conference proceeding are extended and later
published in a journal. Recently the JSL guidelines were revised with
this in mind:

"Full versions of important papers that have previously been
published in conference proceedings are eligible for publication,
provided that the submitted paper extends the pre-publication in a
significant way. In such cases, when authors submit a paper for
publication in the JSL they are requested to provide a precise
reference to the pre-publication and to explain the extent to which
the submission differs from the conference version."

There is also the issue of how to cite the pre-publication and
publication.  Unless there is a good reason the pre-publication and
publication count as one. I suggest they be listed as follows:

Martin Grohe, Yuri Gurevich, Dirk Leinders, Nicole Schweikardt, Jerzy
Tyszkiewicz, and Jan Van den Bussche. Theory of Computing Systems,
44:533-560, 2009. Conference version in Proceedings of the 11th
International Conference on Database Theory (ICDT'07),
<http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/index.html>Lecture Notes in
Computer Science 4353, pp.284-298, 2007.

<http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~grohe/pub/groherschwe09.pdf>Martin
Grohe, Andre Hernich and Nicole Schweikardt, Lower bounds for
processing data with few random accesses to external memory, Journal
of the ACM, 56(3), 2009. Full version of PODS'05 and PODS'06 papers.

Of course, sometimes there are reasons to list the conference article
and final publication separately.  But then the final publication
should clearly explain why these count as two publications.

I am writing this because as an editor I have been involved in far
too many submissions where pre-publication is not cited or
discussed.  I consider this an ethical lapse.  I am no longer a JSL
editor, but contiune to follow the new ASL guidelines in case of
potential violation of publication ethics. See

<http://www.aslonline.org/PublicationEthicsPolicy.html>http://www.aslonline.org/PublicationEthicsPolicy.html

Best,

-Peter Cholak