[FOM] strong hypotheses and the theory of N

Harvey Friedman friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Sun Mar 14 20:28:52 EDT 2010

Here are two relevant observed facts.

1. Any two natural formal systems that interpret EFA = exponential
function arithmetic, are comparable under interpretability.
2. Any two natural formal systems of set theory satisfying minimal
requirements, are comparable under interpretations that preserve the
ordered ring of natural number parts.

Much stronger forms of 2 are in fact observed.

Item 2 ensures that the provable arithmetic sentences are comparable.

Harvey Friedman