[FOM] question about intuitionistic set theory

jbell@uwo.ca jbell at uwo.ca
Mon Mar 8 07:08:18 EST 2010

I wonder if anyone could shed some light on the following question: is the
existence of an injection of N^N into N (the set of natural numbers)
consistent with intuitionistic set theory?  Diagonalization shows that there
can't be a bijection, in fact that there can be no surjection of N onto N^N.
But it is consistent with IST that there a subset U of N and a surjection
from U to N^N since this holds in the effective topos. If N^N were
injectible into N, then N^N would have to be decidable (and this does not
hold in the effective topos) but I can't see that this in itself would yield
enough excluded middle to make the existence of an injection of N^N into N
impossible. But maybe I'm missing something obvious!

-- John Bell

Professor John L. Bell
Department of Philosophy
University of Western Ontario