[FOM] AI in Chess/Kasparov

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 03:43:15 EST 2010

2010/2/1 Paul Budnik <paul at mtnmath.com>

> Today's computers have abilities that parallel human abilities but are
> vastly more powerful. There are far more human capacities that they

Today there are basically three schools of thought: one that says that
computers cannot and will be able to do things the human brain can do.
The second says that certain functions of the brain can be simulated,
not implemented, but we need a radical new approach to what computation
is in order to create artificial brains, and a third one that says
Turing machines
(more precisely: realizations, or implementation, if you prefer this term, of
these devices) have the capabilities of the mind (or the other way
around: again),
thus, soon we will be able to create mechanical (whatever this may mean)
brains, minds, etc.

> powerful computers. The futurist and AI expert, Ray Kurzweil has
> predicted that we will, in the not too distant future, be able to scan

Unless we know for sure which theory of the mind holds true, such predictions
are no better than star trek stories!

Sincerely,

A.S.
--