[FOM] Infinitesimal calculus

Rob Arthan rda at lemma-one.com
Wed May 27 17:40:22 EDT 2009

The classical real numbers can be developed very nicely using decimal
expansions (or base N for any N) as shown in:

@article{behrend56,
	author="F.A. Behrend",
	title="{A Contribution to the Theory of Magnitudes and the
Foundations of Analysis}",
	journal="Mathematische Zeitschrift",
	volume=63,
	pages="345-362",
	year=1956}

The ordering relation is easy to define and easy to prove complete;
the definition of addition requires a little bit of thought about how
"carrying" works if you have to work from left to right. This gives a
complete ordered abelian group - the additive group of real numbers.
Multiplication is then be defined by analysing the group of order-
preserving homomorphism of the additive group.

Regards,

Rob.