[FOM] Blind logicians and mathematicians

Gianluigi Oliveri gianluigi.oliveri at unipa.it
Mon May 25 13:17:54 EDT 2009

Dear Catarina,

You might find useful to have a look at a paper of mine --- G.
Oliveri, 'True to the Pattern', in: H. G. Dales & G. Oliveri (eds.), Truth
in Mathematics, O.U. P., 1998, pp. 253--69 --- where, among other things, I
address the issue you are interested in (p. 260).

The philosophy  I use to justify my position (mathematical patterns can dawn
also on blind mathematicians) is developed further in Ch. 5 of my book: A
Realist Philosophy of Mathematics, College Publications, London, 2007.

Best wishes,

Gianluigi

or having been professional blind logicians or mathematicians? (Of a certain
standing, of course.) I mean literally blind, or severely visually impaired
as
the  politically correct term has it.

>My motivation for posing this question is the investigation on cognitive
aspects involved in the practices of logic (and mathematics) that I am
currently undertaking. One hypothesis that has come up so far is that logic
(and perhaps mathematics, but to a lesser extent) is essentially a *visual*
enterprise, appealing to our visual cognitive capacities. So the question of
whether there have been or are blind logicians (or mathematicians) is
immediately an important one from this perspective, even though it might
seem
awkward in first instance. If there is such a person, it would be extremely
interesting to see whether he or she works in ways that are fundamentally
different from logicians with full use of their visual abilities; if there
isn't such a person, then this fact may seem to give some support to the
hypothesis that logic is essentially a visual enterprise.