[FOM] Arithmetical soundness of ZFC

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Sun May 24 01:47:47 EDT 2009

If ZFC proved "ZFC is inconsistent" (which is weaker than proving 1=0
because ZFC could still be consistent but omega-inconsistent) then that
could be converted into a proof that ZFC is not sound.

We would expect a sound theory to be omega-consistent with respect to
arithmetical statements.

I cannot think of any other possible way in which we could come to
believe in the non-arithmetical soundness of ZFC than a proof that ZFC
is omega-inconsistent.

-- JS