[FOM] When is it appropriate to treat isomorphism as identity?

Monroe Eskew meskew at math.uci.edu
Thu May 21 20:54:34 EDT 2009

Andrej,

Your responses seem to come from a pragmatist perspective.  So I have
a few questions.

1) Why bother with foundations?  You even dismiss such concerns as too
puritan in the discussion about approximation processes.  If your goal
is to just do whatever works "as a physicist," then it would seem
unnecessary to have some formal foundation for infinitesimal numbers,
or to reform the semantics of existential quantification.

2) Aren't the epsilon-delta notions of limits practical?  I know that
in experimental science, one wants to approximate and compute all the
time, and it is also of interest to do so within a margin of error.
This means a FINITE margin of error, since infinitesimal error is not
available in the real world.

Best,
Monroe