[FOM] A textbook on logic with natural deduction

Sara L. Uckelman S.L.Uckelman at uva.nl
Wed Dec 2 11:30:36 EST 2009

Andrej Bauer wrote:
> I am teaching a freshman course in logic and set theory. The formalism
> is kept very low, indeed, I never really explain the difference
> between syntax and semantics, I am just trying to teach the students
> what a (real-life) proof is. However, we did learn natural-deduction
> style proofs as trees. There are several foreign students who asked me
> for an English textbook on the topic. They seem very happy with "Naive
> set theory" by Halmos, but I couldn't really find an _introductory_
> textbook that would cover logic in natural deduction style. Can
> someone recomment a good textbook or available lecture notes that are
> written in natural-deduction style (trees, not proof boxes, I know I
> should have used boxes... but it is too late for this year)? This is
> for a freshman course.

If I understand you correctly, you're looking for a tableaux-style
natural deduction system (rather than, e.g., a Fitch-style one), right?
If so, I can recommend Graham Priest's _Introduction to Non-Classical
Logic_.  While the majority of the book is on non-classical logic, the
first chapter covers classical logic, and the presentation of tableaux
in \S 1.4 is clear and concise.  (However, it covers only propositional
logic, not predicate logic).

-Sara

--
Dr. Sara L. Uckelman
Institute for Logic, Language, & Computation