[FOM] The characteristic S5 axiom and the ontological argument

Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine plumsdai at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Apr 10 10:22:55 EDT 2009

On 9 Apr 2009, at 20:21, Vaughan Pratt wrote:

> From a mathematical standpoint I find it remarkable that those in
> possession of an argument for the existence of something seem to be
> able
> to get unique existence out of the same argument.

Surely it's from a mathematical standpoint that this should seem least
surprising?  We have plenty of definitions of things which, if they
exist, are automatically unique:  a two-sided identity for a binary
multiplication; a least element in a poset; anything defined by a
universal property (unique up to isomorphism, in this case)...

If "a god" were a local, physical object, then yes, a robust
statistical argument for the existence of one would have to suggest
the existence of many.  But I don't think those who make or enjoy such
arguments conceive of "a god" as such an object.
-p.

--
Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine
Carnegie Mellon University