[FOM] RE : Slashed circle symbol for the empty set

BEZIAU Jean-Yves jean-yves.beziau at unine.ch
Sat Apr 4 09:53:17 EDT 2009

It is true that this symbol for the empty set is due to Weil.
I think the explanation is just that Andre Weil was at the time in Norway, saw this letter and thought intuitively that this was a nice symbol to represent the empty set.
You can have a look at the autobiography of Weil translated into English:
The Apprenticeship of a Mathematician, Birkhauser, Basel 1992

Jean-Yves Beziau.