[FOM] Slashed circle symbol for the empty set

Johanna Franklin matfjny at nus.edu.sg
Sat Apr 4 05:11:22 EDT 2009

Weil makes this claim in his autobiography _The Apprenticeship of a
Mathematician_, but gives no explanation for why he chose that
particular symbol.

p. 114: "Much later, my own part in these discussions earned me the
respect of my daughter Nicolette, when she learned the symbol
$\emptyset$ for the empty set at school and I told her that I had been
personally responsible for its adoption. The symbol came from the
Norwegian alphabet, with which I alone among the Bourbaki group was
familiar."

Johanna Franklin