[FOM] Progress in Philosophy

MICHAEL MURPHY 4mjmu at rogers.com
Fri Mar 16 13:00:02 EDT 2007

  Laureano wrote:

I just wish to point out one item: the overcoming of
naive realism, where 'naive realism' must be
understood as the claim that we have direct access
through senses to objective reality outside our mind
just as it is.

This is a genuinely philosophical topic.

  ----

  When Russell came to this issue it had at least a 300/400 hundred year history in English philosophy alone, and the logical empiricists of the 20th century that followed Russell  wound up looking like some amalgam of Locke/Berkeley/Hume with the addition of logical machinery.  You call that progress?

  It seems to me that philosophy has made  "progress" in this and the last century only when it has abandoned its attempts to solve the underlying philosophical problems and concentrated on technique.  For example,  Montague Grammar makes heavy use of Fregean senses while solving none of the difficulties you get by invoking Fregean senses (what the heck are they? for example)

  Cheers,

  M.J. Murphy