[FOM] Progress in Philosophy

laureano luna laureanoluna at yahoo.es
Tue Mar 13 15:37:20 EDT 2007

Paul Studtman wrote:

>Now, here is a question: has there
>been
>progress in answering philosophical questions that
>is in some way
>analogous
>to the progress in math and science?  And one
>obvious way of trying to
>determine whether there has been any such progress
>is to ask whether
>any
>arguments exist that the majority of philosophical
>experts, whatever
>such
>creatures might be, would deem as providing such
>good evidence for some
>philosophical thesis that we can claim to have some
>systematic
>knowledge
>that the thesis is true.

I just wish to point out one item: the overcoming of
naive realism, where 'naive realism' must be
understood as the claim that we have direct access
through senses to objective reality outside our mind
just as it is.

This is a genuinely philosophical topic.

Remember Russell attempt to believe that the green of
the grass was out there in the objective world and his
failure to maintain that belief.

I know there are some philosophers who would object
and even who would say: 'I'm naive realist in your
sense'. But there also are mathematicians who contend
that the set of naturals is finite.

And now think of the ontological consequences of
rejecting naive realism. I would say that at least
some ontological options are ruled out together with
naive realism.

Regards,

Laureano Luna