[FOM] intuitions of logic in Chicago and Cambridge

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Mon Feb 27 01:12:06 EST 2006

Lainaus Gabriel Stolzenberg <gstolzen at math.bu.edu>:

>    In fact, classical mathematicians  sometimes use their logical
> intuitions to "prove" the law of excluded middle.  Although they
> don't realize it, they use excluded middle reasoning to prove the
> statement of the law of excluded middle.

Isn't this a little bit uncharitable. Even if some have proceeded like
this, an adherent of classical logic certainly neeed not to do that.
Rather, one can derive LEM from the Principle of Bivalence, which in turn
seems to be analytically built in to the classical, realist conception of
truth.

However, I think that it is very difficult to argue against these ideas
without already presupposing the intuitionistic interpretation of logical
constants.

Best, Panu

Panu Raatikainen
Ph.D., Academy Research Fellow,