[FOM] historical question about the axiomatisation of identity

Ron Rood ron.rood at planet.nl
Tue Sep 20 10:57:39 EDT 2005

Fred,

As to question 1: no it seems that, in 1928, Hilbert & Ackermann where
not the first to axiomatise identity as an equivalence obeying
substitutivity. It seems to me that Peano already did some such thing
in 1889, in is "Arithmetices principia", although I am not sure about
substitutivity here. Perhaps Peano himself was not very clear on this
point himself; see p.87 of the van Heijenoort anthology (it seems
you've got that one...). See also p.219 of Russell's The Principles of
Mathematics from 1903. Perhaps it also interesting to check Russell and
Whitehead's Principa; I myself do not have a copy within my reach now.

But perhaps there is a little problem here: to *axiomatise* a relation
(such as identity), and to define it accordingly, is typical for
Hilbert's axiomatic method; it is not clear–to me, at least–whether and
to what extent both Peano and Russell accepted this method, whether
they both where aware of it. Both your questions presuppose the
axiomatic method.

As to question 2: no, in 1930, Gödel was not the first to axiomatise
identity as a reflexive relation obeying substitutivity. The earliest
reference I have found is Hilbert 1904, "Über die Grundlagen der Logik
und der Arithmetik"; see p.132 of van Heijenoort's anthology. In this
paper, Hilbert does not de facto deduce symmetry and transitivity. See
also Hilbert's 1927 paper "Die Grundlagen der Mathematik"; cf. p.467 of
the van Heijenoort anthology. Again, perhaps it is also of interest to
check Principia here.

Ron Rood

Muller F.A. heeft op dinsdag, 20 sep 2005 om 00:43 (Europe/Amsterdam)
het volgende geschreven: