[FOM] Imaginary numbers in logic

John Baldwin jbaldwin at uic.edu
Tue Nov 29 21:56:44 EST 2005

I don't know about logic and imaginary numbers but a useful popular
account of imaginary numbers is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0374174695/104-8590952-5776765?
v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

Barry Mazur, Imagining numbers, (especially the square root of minus 15)

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Jim Hardy wrote:

> I'm writing a paper on the use of imaginary numbers in logic and am looking
> for references I may have missed.
>

> The only books I know of are G. Spencer Brown's Laws of Form and A. Stern's
> Matrix Logic (and other more recent books by Stern).  I realize that both of
> these books are of controversial merit, and would deeply appreciate pointers
> to credible sources in the secondary literature.  ( I have the papers by
> Louis Kauffman on Laws of Form.)
>

> Beyond that I have some recent papers by Mizraji, Nguyen et al., and Ramot
> et al.  that approach the subject from a computational/engineering
> standpoint.
>

> Does anyone know of references that I might be missing?  I'm particularly
> interested in those that develop the subject from the standpoint of pure
> logic or mathematics.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Jim Hardy

John T. Baldwin
Director, Office of Mathematics Education
Department of Mathematics, Statistics,
and Computer Science  M/C 249
jbaldwin at uic.edu
312-413-2149
Room 327 Science and Engineering Offices (SEO)
851 S. Morgan
Chicago, IL 60607

Assistant to the director
Jan Nekola: 312-413-3750