[FOM] Correction to problem on order types

Jeremy Clark jeremy.clark at wanadoo.fr
Sun Mar 6 16:21:07 EST 2005

I don't know if this is the error Joe had in mind, but it did occur to
me after I submitted an answer that there are in fact many more order
types satisfying this condition. Take a set S \subset \omega_1. Then
define A_x to be Q (order type of rationals) if x \in S and 1+Q
otherwise. Let A_S = sum A_x for x \in \omega_1. I *think* one can show
something like: if S \setminus T is stationary in \omega_1 (meets every
closed unbounded set in \omega_1) then A_S cannot be order isomorphic
to A_T. It is possible to define 2^\omega_1 sets such that any two of
them have the property that their setwise difference is stationary. So
it follows that there are 2^\omega_1 sets satisfying Joe's condition.

regards,

Jeremy Clark