[FOM] Clifford Firestone

Alasdair Urquhart urquhart at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Oct 13 13:11:11 EDT 2004

The Mathematics Genealogy project records the name of
his thesis as "Sufficient Conditions for the Modelling of Axiomatic Set
Theory," but no further information.

Firestone published an abstract with Rosser in the JSL, Vol. 14, p. 79.
Their result is the relative consistency of the axiom that all cardinals
are accessible.  It's an inner model construction in the style of Goedel's
1940 lectures.  Presumably this abstract is based on his thesis with Rosser.

I find no further publications by Firestone in the Omega Bibliography (in
fact, even the abstract above is missing).  In Volume 16 of the JSL,
Firestone wrote an account of the 13th ASL meeting (April 1951).
At the time, he was at Rutgers.  He also published "A Semantical Approach
to the Study of Mathematics" in "The Pentagon", the journal of Kappa Mu
Epsilon (National Mathematics Honor Society).

Volume 29 of the JSL (1964) lists his address as:  Applied Physics
Laboratory, Johns Hopkins University.  The current web site of this
Laboratory indicates that their research is mostly for NASA and the military,
so it is quite likely that he ended in aero-space or military research.

That's all I've been able to discover.  I do have a vague recollection of
seeing the phrase "Goedel-Firestone set theory" somewhere, but I can't track
it down.