[FOM] AXIOM SCHEMATA

Donald Stahl philostahl at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 19:03:26 EDT 2004

Assuming that Tennant's questions both refer to the preference (not the
tendency) I suggest (not on my own behalf) that it might have to do with the
idea that compositionality is supposed to be the source of novelty and
unlimitedness---that these are to be worked for, not assumed.  Perhaps it
has to do with conflating theories with languages, so that the set of axioms
corresponds to the lexicon. A non-finitely axiomatized theory would then be
on a par with an unlearnable language.

Best wishes,

Donald E. Stahl 12545 Olive Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63141-6311 USA