[FOM] John Baez on David Corfield's book

Jon Williamson jon.williamson at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Sep 29 06:03:26 EDT 2003

David Corfield's book raises an important question for philosophers of
maths: why focus so strongly on so few questions about maths (typically
concerning mathematical truth, metaphysics and foundations), when there are
so many other interesting questions to be addressed? E.g. what counts as a
good concept in maths? what role does analogy play in mathematical
reasoning? what role does uncertainty play?

Stephen G Simpson:
> Could you please [1] provide an example of the kind of non-foundational
> mathematical work that Corfield is talking about, and [2] explain why it
> is allegedly philosophically interesting?  In particular, [3] what are the
> philosophical questions that it addresses?

Taking the three questions in reverse order:
3.  E.g. what counts as a good concept in maths? what role does analogy play
in mathematical reasoning? what role does uncertainty play?
2. One would hope that the study of mathematical conceptualisation and
mathematical reasoning would be of interest to philosophers of maths.
1. I recommend that you take a look at the book.

Philosophers of maths have devoted much of their attention to foundational
issues. A hundred years ago there was very good reason for this - it looked
like intuitively compelling foundations of maths might be feasible (simple
logical axioms, simple set-theoretic axioms or a formalist consistency
proof). For a while now it has become clear that any philosophical
foundations that arise out of FOM are not going to be very intuitive and are
likely to satisfy few people. FOM has moved on - the subject is now largely
studied for its own intrinsic interest and to elucidate more subtle logical
relationships between mathematical propositions than those required for
intuitively compelling philosophical foundations of maths. Why haven't
philosophers of maths moved on too? Why don't they study interesting new
questions about maths? Corfield appears to be one of the very few who are
trying to open up new areas.

Surely no FOMer would claim that their subject should be the sole focus of
philosophers of maths?

Jon
Jon Williamson
Department of Philosophy, King's College, Strand, London, WC2R 2LS, UK
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/jw