[FOM] quasi-empiricism and anti-foundationalism

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Wed Sep 24 09:54:23 EDT 2003

Simpson and Friedman have again defended "foundationalism" vigorously here
in FOM. I find the issue mostly verbal: In philosophy, "foundationalism"
and "foundations of math" have meant something quite different from what
Simpson and Friedman understand by it, and philosopher's have used it so
for ages. One can redefine it, but one should be aware of this difference.

Simpson has also refered to his earlier criticism of Tymoczko's book and
attack on "quasi-empiricism". What I really wanted to point out is the
following:

I think that the idea of "quasi-empiricism" (in the philosophy of
mathematics) was introduced by Hilary Putnam. This is how he explained it
in the introducution to his Philosophical Papers, VOl. 1.

"Not surprisingly, I was led to reexamine the history of classical
mathematics. In this enterprise, aided both by some insightful papers by
Kurt Godel, ... and by some discussions with the mathematician Martin
Davis, I was led to the conclusion that the differences and empirical
science have been vastly exaggerated. That in mathematics too there is an
interplay of postulation, quasi-empirical testing, and conceptual
revolutions leading to the formation of contextually a priori
paradigms... " (etc.)

That does not sound at all stupid to me. And I don't think that such an
idea contradicts in any way FOM in the sense that Harvey and Steve
understand it. Or does it?

Best

Panu

Panu Raatikainen

PhD., Docent in Theoretical Philosophy
Fellow, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
University of Helsinki

Address:
Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
P.O. Box 4