[FOM] ACA0, PA, PA'

Dean Buckner Dean.Buckner at btopenworld.com
Mon May 12 15:23:36 EDT 2003

Dean
> If I assent to a proposition
> expressed in one language, then I assent to exactly the same
> proposition expressed in another language.

Adrian wrote
>That seems rash.
>"This sentence is in English": should that be "Cette phrase est en
>anglais" or "Cette phrase est en francais", assuming that you wish to
>preserve truth-values ?

That old chestnut.

 (1) This sentence is in English

is translated perfectly by a sentence in any language that says the
equivalent of "THAT sentence is in English" or "Sentence #1 is in English".
(I've forgotten how you say "that sentence" in French).  I meant what I
said: if the sentence in the other language really does express the same
proposition (has the same meaning) as the one I assent to, then I assent to
it also.

But I agree, it's hard to find sentences in other languages that express