[FOM] Re: FOM: Zilber's Program

Everdell@aol.com Everdell at aol.com
Sun Jun 15 23:36:23 EDT 2003

In a message dated 6/13/03, Dave Marker wrote:

<< At the ASL meeting Boris Zilber gave a thought provoking Godel Lecture >>

I wonder if any others on this list have the same trouble I have looking up
Kurt Gödel in the archives with a computerized "search function.  The
contributors to FOM, who refer to him pretty consistently, can come to no consistent
formula on the spelling of his last name.  Godel, Goedel, Go"del, Go/"del,
sometimes even the mystifying internet artifact, G del.  Goedel's contemporary,
Arnold Schoenberg, acquired a definite description and a single reference (except
in 19thC Vienna municipal records), by renouncing his umlaut after moving to
California.  Did Gödel/Goedel have a similar conversion on moving to
Princeton?  Is there any way, given the internet's unpredictably intermittent hostility
to diacriticals, that FOM can propose or impose an axiom on this matter?  Or
are we, like arithmetic, doomed to choose between inconsistency and
unprovability?

-Bill Everdell, St. Ann's School, Brooklyn, NY, USA
    "All our dignity consists, then, in thought.  It is on thought that we
must base ourselves and not on the space and time which we have no way of
filling.  Let us therefore labor to think well: there is the principle of morality."
                                    —Pascal, Pensées (c1660) #200