[FOM] Godel's Theorems

Giuseppe Longo Giuseppe.Longo at ens.fr
Wed Apr 30 06:52:19 EDT 2003

> To: fom at cs.nyu.edu
> From: Harvey Friedman <friedman at math.ohio-state.edu>
> Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:52:59 -0400
> Subject: [FOM] Godel's Theorems
>
> *) there is a true sentence in the language of PA which
> is not provable in PA.
>
> 1. Conventional wisdom is that this is now a fully established
> theorem of mathematics (or ordinary mathematics as currently
> practiced by the overwhelming majority of mathematicians). Is there
> agreement on this?

* is surely correct, but its statement, as given, should be only
reserved to competent circles.  Otherwise, we often hear: Oh, ho ...
what a miracle, there exist true mathematical statements that are not
provable, THUS:
1 - they are accessible in view of non-separable quantum effects in
neural microtubules,
or
2 - mathematicians see them by looking over the shoulders of God.
Two (or more?) books have been written on the grounds of 1 and 2. Of
course, there may be relevant quantum effects (for cognition) in
brain, by a scientific reduction is a theoretical operation: one
reduces a phenomenal level to a given THEORY (of another phenomenal
level: chemical, physical ...) by some evidence, while there is no
empirical evidence no sound unified theoretical frame for such a
reduction; moreover, Goedel's theorem in no way justifies such
short-cuts.  Similarly, since Galileo and, more consistently, since
Laplace, we learned not to refer to God in our scientific analysis
(and there is no empirical evidence concerning the relative position
of mathematicians' head and God's shoulders).

Wittgenstein is just pointing out to us that this philosophical
debacle could take place if we are not careful to the actual meaning
of * (and it did take place).
In modern terms, Witt. is telling us: consider, say, FFF (Friedman's
Finite Form of Kruskal's theorem).  It is a statement of PA; however
one can prove that it is not provable in PA, yet a proof of it may
be given in a stronger theory (either by use of induction over a
Sigma-1-1 set, or by a very large - impredicative - ordinal).
Of course, also Godel's undecidable sentence G may be shown to hold
on N (HAS TO BE SHOWN, says Witt.): assume consistency, use
undecidability (whose proof uses consistency) and continue by an easy
classical argument ....  But the recent concrete incompleteness
results show this more clearly to us, without the danger of confusing
this easy proof of the truth of G with an absolute quantum/God-given
truth, as the their truth is not "evident".  Witt. had the
philosophical insight to tell this to us well before the concrete
incompleteness results that forbid philosophical short-cuts and
truth-miracles of various sorts.

Actually mathematicians understand the proof of FFF, say, in a sound
"geometric" way. Just look at the number line, in your mind (the
result of a complex conceptual construction: the well-ordered
sequence of numbers as counting and its mental spatialization). Every
mathematician sees it by training (don't you see it? it goes from
left to right, doesn't it?). Observe that
       "a generic non-empty subset of it has a least element"
(an easy observation, that we may call a "geometric judgement").
Then, in particular, the Sigma-1-1 set in the proof of the truth of
FFF, if it is not empty, has a least element ... and the proof of FFF
easily continues by contradiction (which gives the set to be empty).
Since this set will be shown to be empty, the detailed Sigma-1-1
definition is not used in the proof and the general geometric
judgement convinces any (graduate) student in maths or Computer
Science I lecture to. This geometric judgement is used everyday by
mathematicians; by the way, it guarantees to them the consistency of
strong forms of induction with no need of (logically very informative
but) infinite regressions into infinities.

In short, in my view, Wittgenstein stresses that there is no other
access to knowledge in Maths besides proofs.  That proofs may be
grounded on assumptions, which must be made explicit.  Meaningful
assumptions, as Husserl would add:
"... the axioms are mostly the result of an original formation of
meaning and they already have this formation itself behind them" (The
origin of Geometry, 1933). As for integer numbers, the evidence (as
original formation of meaning) of strong forms for induction may be
grounded on spatial/mental well-ordering.
Calling it a geometric judgement is compatible with (and in my case
partially inspired by) a practice of Witt.,since in the '30s he often
and soundly used space/geometric metaphors in his analysis of
LANGUAGE (one of the original aspects of his philosophy of language).

Remarks on the proofs of Normalization for Type Theories and FFF may
be found in

Giuseppe Longo. On the proofs of some formally unprovable
propositions and Prototype Proofs in Type Theory. Invited
Lecture,Types for Proofs and Programs, Durham, (GB), Dec. 2000;
Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 2277 (Callaghan et al. eds),
pp. 160 - 180, Springer, 2002.

Downloadable from   http://www.di.ens.fr/users/longo

-- Giuseppe Longo
Laboratoire et Departement d'Informatique
CNRS et Ecole Normale Superieure
et CREA, Ecole Polytechnique
(Postal addr.:  LIENS
45, Rue D'Ulm