[FOM] Floyd, Putnam, Wittgenstein

Timothy Bays timothy.bays.5 at nd.edu
Tue Apr 29 17:40:42 EDT 2003

Re:  The Floyd and Putnam piece being discussed here by Floyd, Steiner
and Franzen.

I'm afraid I find this paper rather baffling.  Early on, the authors
seem to argue that, if we were to discover that PM proves ~P (here, P
is the  "I'm not provable" sentence from the proof of Godel's first
incompleteness theorem), then we would/should *abandon* N as the
canonical model for interpreting arithmetic and begin interpreting
arithmetic on the non-standard models which satisfy PM.  (And, when we
notice that P doesn't reliably evaluate to "P is not provable" when
interpreted on such non-standard models, we would/should ``give up''
the  interpretation of P as "P is not provable").

But surely this isn't right.  If PM turns out to be w-inconsistent
(e.g., because it proves ~P),  then it seems far more likely that we
would modify PM rather than accept non-standard models as canonical for
arithmetic.  Even if PA---a far more widely accepted system than
PM---turned out to be w-inconsistent, we would hold that against PA
(and look for some modification of PA's induction scheme which lets us
regain soundness).    I simply can't imagine that we would keep PA as a
standard axiomatization of arithmetic, and (therefore) accept
non-standard models as canonical.

So, I'm puzzled on this one.

For those who are interested, I have a short paper on this topic which
lives on my website (http://www.nd.edu/~tbays/papers).  It's still
(very) drafty, but it's there for any who happen to be interested.

Timothy Bays
Assistant Professor of Philosophy
University of Notre Dame
timothy.bays.5 at nd.edu