[FOM] Wittgenstein?

Hartley Slater slaterbh at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 22 23:08:49 EDT 2003

Charles Silver suggests we fudge the use-mention distinction (FOM
Digest Vol 4 Issue 23):

>Philosophers seem to think they are making profound
>points by blathering on about such stuff.  I see no foundational
>significance here and do not believe the current fussing is in any
>way fruitful.

But not only is the contingent-necessary distinction obscured if ''If
p then 'p' is true' is conflated with 'if p then it is true that p',
as I explained in the posting Silver objects to (FOM Digest Vol 4
Issue 22), more confusion arises that way in connection with
understanding Goedel's Theorems, and specifically with understanding
their relevance to the question of what distinguishes us from Turing
machines, as I explained previously in FOM Digest Vol 3 Issue 18.
These are profound points, even if 'fussing' is certainly needed to
appreciate them.  Fussing has a better name: it is 'taking care'.

Silver's suggestion, of course, illustrates Wittgenstein's general
thesis very well: 'Mathematical Logic has completely deformed the
thinking of mathematicians and philosophers, it has done so by
erecting an entirely superficial interpretation on the sentences of
ordinary speech'.  The historical aspects of Wittgenstein's thought
are not my speciality (on that, see, for instance, Mathieu Marion's,
'Wittgenstein, Finitism and the Foundations of Mathematics',
Clarendon, Oxford, 1998, which was reviewed by Juliet Floyd in
'Philosophia Mathematica' 10.1, Feb 2002, pp67-87).  But I have been
prepared to defend, independently, this overriding attitude of
Wittgenstein's in my recent book, and specifically I have provided a
re-assessment of Goedel's Theorems in the above way: check chapters 3
and 4 of 'Logic Reformed', as before available via
http://www.peterlang.com/all/index.cfm?vSuche=vSuche&vDom=3&vRub=3060

Readers of FOM have also seen how greater attention to the mass-count
distinction affects the relevance to the foundations of Mathematics
of von Neumann ordinals and the like (FOM Digest Vol 4 Issue 16), and
Fregean and Neo-Fregean attempts to generate the number series from
Logic using a definition of zero (FOM Digest Vol 4, Issue 17).   I
will now show how Hale and Shapiro's attempts to produce a
Neo-Fregean account of the reals are also defeated through attention
to other aspects of natural language predicates - clearing up a
number of other confusions, and the Paradox of Predication on the way:

The confusions start with a confusion between facts and properties,
which are commonly distinguished in natural languages, but which have
come to be conflated in lambda abstraction and set abstraction
languages.  Isn't the property, in the Russellian Paradox case,
[lambda]x(x is not a member of x), which is a constant?  No: the
predicate is 'is not a member of itself', so it is that, and not 'x
is not a member of x' that expresses the property, which, therefore,
is not constant, but functional.  It is not a property but a fact if
x is a member of its complement.  Another case might help seeing
this, since it is even more obviously unnatural to conflate actions
with facts.  Abstracting 'John' from 'John shaves John' does not
produce the action John does, but simply the form of a fact about
him.  The action of shaving oneself is not the fact that one shaves
oneself: the fact that one shaves oneself instead speaks of ones
performance of the action.  Certainly those people with the property
in question are those people for whom the same form of fact holds,
i.e. (x)(x shaves himself iff x shaves x).  But that does not mean
that each of those people has the same property, i.e. that the
property in question is not functional.  Indeed, the equivalence
itself is what gives the form of the function in this case.

The difficulty with seeing this compounds if one is attached to the
'Px' symbolisation of elementary sentences in Fregean Logic, for if
'P' stands for a property, and one abstracts 'x' from 'Px', then what
is left but the property?  If we wrote instead 'x has P' for the form
of an elementary predication it would be more clear that abstracting
the subject leaves the possession of the property instead.  In the
symbolism 'Px' the 'P' is doing double duty for an expression
involving a finite form of the verb, like 'shaves', along with a
referring phrase to the property alone, like 'shaving', which would
allow objectival second-order quantification.  But, of course, on the
latter reading of 'Px', 'x, the property P' is not a coherent
sentence. I have pointed out, in Chapter 8 of 'Logic Reformed', how
distinguishing predicates from their nominalisations relieves Frege
of his problem with the concept Horse.

That, of course, also relieves us of one difficulty with the paradox
of predication: '(EP)(x=P.~Px)' is ungrammatical.  But if one
introduces, for instance, a nominaliser '*', so that '*P' is
referential while 'P' remains descriptive, that would still allow a
related expression, '(EP)(x=*P.~Px)', to be well formed.  Then,
however, we would have the question, as before, whether this
predicate expressed a single, unambiguous property.  Indeed, if
(EP)(x=*P.~Px) iff Qx, then there would be a contradiction when x=*Q.

How is it that '(EP)(a=*P.~Pa)', and '(EP)(b=*P.~Pb)', do not say a
and b have the same property?  It is well known that 'Sa.Tb' does not
entail '(ER)(Ra.Rb)': we could readily construct counter-examples
like: Sa.Tb.(R)(Ra -> ~Rb), ~Sb. ~Ta ...  Nevertheless, 'Sa', of
course, entails '(EP)Pa', and 'Tb' entails '(EP)Pb', and so it might
easily seem that any such a and b must share a property: the property
of simply having a property.  Certainly we can say 'a has a property'
and 'b has a property', and so produce two sentences with the same
grammatical predicate, and we can even say 'a and b each has a
property'.  But as the latter expression indicates, the property
referred to which a has might still be different from the property
referred to which b has.  The epsilon reduction of the second-order
quantifiers above also shows this since '(EP)Pa' is '[ePPa]a', and
'(EP)Pb' is '[ePPb]b' (where the square brackets are merely for ease
of reading).  The epsilon terms contain traces of the subject,
allowing differentiation of the two properties, and showing  that
'(EP)Pa.(EP)Pb' does not entail '(ER)(Ra.Rb)'.  The point can
obviously be replicated with '(EP)(a=*P.~Pa)' and '(EP)(b=*P.~Pb)':
although these may seem to say the same thing about a as about b, the
sameness is only in the linguistic expression, which is
systematically ambiguous.  The grammatical predicate here might be
represented as a lambda expression '[lambda]x(EP)(x=*P.~Px)', but, as
before, that only gives the form of a fact, not a property.

Now in Stewart Shapiro's 'Frege meets Dedekind; a Neologicist
Treatment of Real Analysis' (Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic,
41.1, 2002, p343) we find a definition of a property Q which
supposedly is going to generate the least upper bound of a set of
reals; it compares with Bob Hale's definition of H, in 'Reals by
Abstraction', ('Philosophia Mathematica' 8.2, 2000, p112): Hx iff
(EF)(phi(#F).Fx).  Here, '#F' is a cut in the rationals, and 'F' a
property of the rationals related to it by means of the abstraction
principle 'Cut':  #F = #G iff (x)(Fx iff Gx).  The question these
Neo-Fregeans have not asked is whether there is just one property of
the supposed kind H, i.e. whether 'H' is univocal.  For (EF)Fa, and
(EF)Fb predicate different things of a and b, as we have seen. The
predicate 'has a property of the Phi sort' contains an indefinite
article, which might be the linguistic antecedent to anaphoric uses
of the definite article in discriminations between 'the property of
the Phi sort which a has' [eF(phi(#F).Fa)] and 'the property of the
Phi sort which b has' [eF(phi(#F).Fb)].  So while the same syntactic
item is involved it is context sensitive with respect to its
referent.  Specifically, the indefinite article is sensitive to the
subject provided in expressions like 'has a property of the Phi
sort', as before.  An epsilon reduction of the second-order
quantifiers also shows this context sensitivity: thus the given
lambda term above can also be written '[lambda]x(x=*Q.~Qx),', where
Q=eP(x=*P.~Px).

Take care.

--
Barry Hartley Slater