[FOM] Wittgenstein?

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Tue Apr 22 09:26:42 EDT 2003

Harvey Friedman <friedman at math.ohio-state.edu>:

> *DID LW WRITE ANYTHING THAT CAN AT LEAST BE REASONABLY INTERPRETED AS
> BEING SIGNIFICANT FOR THE FOUNDATIONS OF MATHEMATICS? IF SO, EXACTLY
> WHAT?*

In general, I am inclined to think that W's work has been more directly
relevant for the philosophy of language (esp. his later philosophy) and the
philosophy of logic (esp. his earlier philosophy) than to FOM (as Harvey
understands it), and in particular that his views on the philosophy of
mathematics (mostly) have only historical interest.

Nevertheless, I think that one should not ignore W's contributions. After
all, he introduced the familar truth tables for propositional logic.
This was, in part, based on his criticism of Frege and Russell on the
interpretation of logic. They had conceived both propositions and logical
connectives as names (of truth-values or facts, and logical objects).
Against this, W pointed out that (i) propositions can't be names, for it
makes no sense to negate a name, as we negate a proposition; and (ii) that
connectives cannot be names, for otherwise e.g. --p would say something
very different from p.

Also, both Frege and Russell thought that logical truths are the most
general truths about reality (reality understood as containing also the
above mentioned logical objects) - all this was quite confused. W., on the
other hand, argued that logical truths say nothing about the reality, but
are "tautologous". In this way, he pioneered the modern understanding of
logical truths as true under every possible interpretation.

Today, we may take all this to be so obvious that we forget that at the
time these issues were so badly misunderstood even by the greatest. I think
that W made here important contributions that helped logic to get to the
right track.

(All this was in W's early publication Tractatus (1921))

But this is all history. If Harvey rather ment by his question to ask
whether there still is in W's (later) work something little known but deep
and highly relevant for FOM, I can only give my own opinion: I don't think
so. (True believers will certainly disagree with me here.)

Best

Panu

Panu Raatikainen

PhD., Docent in Theoretical Philosophy
Fellow, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
University of Helsinki

Address:
Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
P.O. Box 4