[FOM] Wittgenstein?

Harvey Friedman friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Tue Apr 22 00:47:46 EDT 2003

A substantial segment of the current philosophical community is
engaged in interpretations of LW. There is fundamental disagreement
as to what LW had in mind in just about every direction. Yet many
people find aspects of his ideas fascinating, profound, and
compelling.

In the TIME/LIFE list of the 20 most influential thinkers of the 20th
century, LW was present but not Bertrand Russell. Of course, Godel
and Turing were also on the list.

It appears that Godel probably regarded LW as an ignorant fool in
connection with the foundations of mathematics on the basis of LW's
comments about the Godel incompleteness theorems.

Since the interpretations of LW are so varied, voluminous, and
controversial, it would not be useful to the FOM list to simply have
people provide references to the literature concerning LW's
philosophy.

So I think it would be valuable if knowledgeable subscribers would
address the following challenging question:

*DID LW WRITE ANYTHING THAT CAN AT LEAST BE REASONABLY INTERPRETED AS
BEING SIGNIFICANT FOR THE FOUNDATIONS OF MATHEMATICS? IF SO, EXACTLY
WHAT?*

I have my own hidden agenda. I believe that anything that is
significant for the foundations of mathematics can be built on and
developed into a substantial advance in f.o.m. that is backed up by
relevant (new) mathematical results.

Also, showing that something is not significant for the foundations
of mathematics frequently involves making a substantial advance in
f.o.m. that is backed up by relevant (new) mathematical results.

A site search of the FOM archives on Wittgenstein reveals quite a
number of postings. Surely many of the authors will want to take up
the challenge, and avoid having this place of record for f.o.m. (the
FOM) leave the impression that the answer to this is: NO.