[FOM] consistency and completeness in natural language

Hartley Slater slaterbh at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 8 22:31:17 EDT 2003

Just one final word on this topic.  Here is a more complete, formal
reply to Sandy Hodges' question (FOM Digest Vol 4 Issue 7):

>So we posit that, on July 1st, 1972, Jones says, as his only utterance
>of the day:
>
>"Nixon's first statement made on June 19th, 1972 is false."
>
>and posit that, on June 19th, 1972, Nixon says, of his only utterance of
>the day:
>
>"The first statement Jones will make on July 1st, 1972, will be true."
>
>And posit that Jones does not know what Nixon said, and Nixon does not
>know what Jones will say.   Would you say that both Jones and Nixon made
>coherent utterances?

Consider, for a start, the case where Quint utters (at time t) 'What
Quint states (at time t) is not true', where 'states' is deliberately
not 'utters', but relates to the content of what is uttered.  Putting
this remark into indirect speech we can say 'Quint states that what
Quint states is not true' which we can symbolise 'Mq*~TerMqr' where
'Mqr' is 'Quint states r', 'e' is epsilon, '*' is the nominaliser
'that', and 'r' varies over referring phrases to
propositions/statements, which include expressions like 'what Quint
states' (i.e. 'erMqr'), and also that-clauses, like '*~TerMqr'.
Supposing there is a determinate statement Quint makes, i.e.
(E!r)Mqr, straightforward logic then gives 'erMqr = *~TerMqr', i.e.
'what Quint states is that what Quint states is not true'.  But then
TerMqr iff T*~TerMqr, and so we get, because of the propositional
truth scheme 'T*p iff p' (where 'p' is a used sentence), TerMqr iff
~TerMqr, which is a contradiction.  It follows that there is no
determinate statement Quint makes.

Turning to the case where there are two speakers, Jones and Nixon,
consider, first, the telling case which Hodges does not mention -
where the second speaker in fact utters nothing.  The phrase 'What
Nixon states' then refers to a fiction, but the epsilon analysis
simply leaves it with an indeterminate referent.  We know that
Mj*~TerMnr, so we have a representation for what many have called
'the proposition' Jones expresses (*~TerMnr), and that necessarily
contains a term for 'what Nixon states', i.e. 'erMnr'.  But there is
no way to specify 'the statement'  which either Jones or Nixon makes,
because there is nothing to determine what 'erMnr' refers to.  The
distinction between propositions and statements was notably made by
Strawson and Lemmon (see also Susan Haack's chapter on the matter in
'Philosophy of Logics' CUP 1978).  The case of fictions was
originally understood to provide a case where no statement was made,
as with Russell's 'The King of France is bald' said at the present
time.  But an epsilon representation of such definite descriptions as
'The King of France' allows them to be complete individual terms,
with merely an indeterminate referent in the fictional case.

So if we have Mj*~TerMnr, and Mn*TerMjr (by putting Hodges' case into
indirect speech), then if (E!r)Mjr and (E!r)Mnr we get that erMjr =
*~TerMnr, and that erMnr = *TerMjr, which means, using the truth
scheme, that TerMjr iff ~TerMnr, and TerMnr iff TerMjr; and those are
together a contradiction.  It follows that at least one of the
speakers does not make an identifiable statement, in which case the
other is talking about a fiction.  The representation and
understanding of fictions is therefore what is most crucial.  I have
written on this matter in several places now, and my 'The Logic of
Fiction' is to appear shortly in John Woods' coming festschrift,
edited by Kent Peacock and Andrew Irvine.
--
Barry Hartley Slater
Honorary Senior Research Fellow