[FOM] Consistency and completeness in natural language

Hartley Slater slaterbh at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 7 21:50:11 EDT 2003

Sandy Hodges (FOM Digest Vol 4 Issue 7) thinks there is a special
difficulty with

>So we posit that, on July 1st, 1972, Jones says, as his only utterance
>of the day:
>
>"Nixon's first statement made on June 19th, 1972 is false."
>
>and posit that, on June 19th, 1972, Nixon says, of his only utterance of
>the day:
>
>"The first statement Jones will make on July 1st, 1972, will be true."
>
>And posit that Jones does not know what Nixon said, and Nixon does not
>know what Jones will say.   Would you say that both Jones and Nixon made
>coherent utterances?
>As far as I can tell from [Dean's] posting, and Hartley's, you have not
>considered the importance of Jones not knowing what Nixon said, and
>continue to repeat arguments based the other case.

But the  very first case involving the portion of  protothetic which
Prior later developed, was 'A says that anything which B says is
false, and B says that something which A says is true' (R.L.
Goodstein, 'On the Formalisation of Indirect Discourse', JSL 23
(1958), p417).  So there is no requirement that A and B, or Jones and
Nixon, know what each other said.

--
Barry Hartley Slater
Honorary Senior Research Fellow