FOM: Zermelo's successor function

Robert Black Robert.Black at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue May 7 14:54:42 EDT 2002

It's at the end of the first section of the famous 1908 paper
'Untersuchungen ueber die Grundlagen der Mengenlehre I' (translation
in the van Heijenoort collection). Zermelo gives the axiom of
infinity in the form that there's a set containing the empty set and
closed under the formation of singletons, and then identifies the
minimal such set with the number sequence.

Robert

--
Robert Black
Dept of Philosophy