FOM: Zermelo's successor function

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Tue May 7 14:29:37 EDT 2002

Yes. "Untersuchen über die Grundlagen der Mengenlehre I, Math. Annalen, 65
(1908) 261-281.
English translation in van Heijenoort's  FROM FREGE TO GÖDEL.

You'll find the item in question as number 14 of that article.

Best wishes from sunny Berkeley,
Martin

At 11:39 AM 5/7/2002,  Peter Apostoli wrote:

>I underdstand that E. Zermelo first suggested representing Peano's successor
>function by the set theoretic operation of forming singletons (?). Can
>anyone on the list verify this; if so, is a citation available?

                           Martin Davis
                    Visiting Scholar UC Berkeley
                      Professor Emeritus, NYU
                          martin at eipye.com