FOM: Cellular Automata: Computation vrs simulation

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Sun Jul 28 14:45:34 EDT 2002

John T. Baldwin has properly emphasized the importance of I/O conventions
in discussions of universality.

In this connection, I'd like to mention two old papers of mine:

``A Note on Universal Turing Machines,'' in Automata Studies, C.E. Shannon
and J. McCarthy, editors, Annals of Mathematics Studies, Princeton
University Press, 1956.

``The Definition of Universal Turing Machine,''  Proceedings of the
American Mathematical Society, vol.8(1957), pp. 1125-1126.

Martin

                           Martin Davis
                    Visiting Scholar UC Berkeley
                      Professor Emeritus, NYU