FOM: expr. power of syntax

Ben Abraham ben at cpw.math.columbia.edu
Thu Jul 18 13:36:38 EDT 2002

Hi,

	Here's a quick and dirty proof that the language of sentential
logic is not regular.

1) The most popular way to represent formulas is using infix notation. I
assume infix.

2) Infix notation requires parenthesis, they are not included in your set
of symbols but are required in order to resolve ambiguities.

Consider: a /\ b \/ c, with a=false b=false c=true

(a /\ b) \/ c is true a /\ (b \/ c)  is false

3) Now the parens must be balanced in a wff.
4) The most trivial expression with balanced parens is not regular
proof: use the pumping lemma for regular langs. in any text (this example
frequently used). you need a PDA (it is context free).
5) infix wff's are not regular

btw. a context free grammar for expressions is doable and easy.