FOM: Rule 110, etc.

silver_1@mindspring.com silver_1 at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 18 07:21:48 EDT 2002

    I''ve looked at the vaunted Rule 110 in Wolfram and cannot see what's the
big deal. Can someone please explain its deep significance (not by
paraphrasing Wolfram, please)  When explaining, if at all possible,  please
refer to the version in sentential logic with the three variables, p, q, and
r--I understand this version the best.
     While you're at it, I've now read a good portion of Wolfram's tome and,
despite getting occasional impressions that he may be onto something
important, I have difficulty saying what that is--without of course lapsing
into Wolfram-speak about computational equivalence and the sort.   Much of the
significance of his actual "results" escapes me--if they indeed can be
referred to as "results."   (Mostly, they just seem like endless experiments,
followed by hunches.)   Edification on this score would be very much
appreciated.   Please though, don't just paraphrase him.   By now, I can
recite his phrases myself.   I'm just not sure what it all amounts to.

    Thank you very much,

Charlie Silver